Six kilometers (approximately 3.7 miles) is the average distance that people in the developing world – often women and young girls – walk for water each day. This walk can be dangerous, and the water is often contaminated with life-threatening diseases. On Saturday, May 6, 2017, 40,000 people from around the globe will join together to walk or run 6 kilometers to raise awareness of the global water crisis and support World Vision’s water initiatives through the World Vision Global 6K for Water. Each participant’s $50 registration fee supports World Vision’s water programs and each participant will receive a Global 6K for Water t-shirt, a race bib with a photo of a child he or she can sponsor, and a race medal in the mail.
- Become a Global 6K Host Site: Work together with your church, school, community center or run club to register as a host site (it’s free!) and spread the word about how fun and easy it is to support clean water programs around the world! Whether your goal is 10 or 100 people, World Vision will equip you with all the marketing materials, race day signage and staff support for a successful race day. If you can’t become a host site, considering running or walking with other Global 6K for Water participants at a host site near you.
- Start a Global 6K Virtual Team: Invite friends and family all around the country to join your “team” even though you will each be walking or running from your own neighborhoods on race day. Even those who wish to participate individually, whether on a treadmill or around the neighborhood, can take part in a global effort to support clean water!
- Turn Coffee into Clean Water: Even small amounts of money can make a big difference for families around the world. Once a week, put the money that might normally be used to purchase your morning latte toward a “clean water fund.” Over the course of a year, you could set aside as much as $250 to support World Vision’s water programs.
- Change a Life Through Child Sponsorship: Poverty is complex and rarely solved by one intervention. Sponsoring a child is a long-term way to get involved with World Vision and help a child – and his or her entire community – benefit from things like clean water through new or renovated wells, school fees and supplies, better education due to restored schools and teacher training, improved nutrition due to agricultural training, and healthcare clinics and immunizations.
- Become a Part of Team World Vision: The Global 6K for Water is just one event organized by Team World Vision, a group of passionate people who run, walk and race to help children get clean water. Join Team World Vision for support in reaching your own fitness goals while helping others around the world.
Clean water is an important part of life. Nearly 1,000 children under age 5 die every day from diarrhea caused by contaminated water, poor sanitation, and improper hygiene. But we believe the global water and sanitation crisis can be solved within our lifetimes. That’s why we’re focused on providing clean water and sanitation to every man, woman, and child in every community we work in, including the most vulnerable populations in the hardest-to-reach places. In order for families to get clean water they have to walk miles a day.
They walk more then me a day just to get a glass of water. I know people who are going to walk The World Vision Global 6k. I had been wearing my Fitbit for a week now and I have walked about 5,000 steps a day. My next goal is 10,000.
Now time for the giveaway. One lucky reader has the chance to win a water bottle and t shirt. Simply enter below. Good luck!